Thursday, July 12, 2007

No hot Chaos Chosen babes in plate bikinis!?

So apparently there's some hubbub going on concerning a decision by EAMythic. The Chaos Chosen class is being limited to only male characters. For those that are unaware, the Chaos Chosen is the tanking class for Warhammer Online (WAR), and since so far the Order side tanking classes bore me, I'm looking towards Disorder, of which Chaos Chosen look the best so far (but the Black Orc looks pretty cool too). Anyway, the lack of female Chosen didn't come as much of a surprise to me, since the class page only showed male characters, and other ones like the Warrior Priest or the Chaos Magus clearly shows both male and female characters.

Of course this won't be the first time there have been limited choices in gender as far as an MMO goes. FFXI had two races that were single gender, the Galka which is an asexual race (despite having all the appearance of very muscular males) that reproduce via reincarnation, and the Mithra who technically have two sexes but the males are so rare they are kept away primarily for breeding to ensure that the race does not become extinct, so the only playable gender is female. Also in LOTRO, the Dwarves are male only, but based upon your views you could say that you can play female dwarves since it was written that female dwarves were audibly and visually so similar to male dwarves that many could not tell the difference.

As for my view... I could really care less. From a personal stand point it doesn't bother me, since I would be playing a male Chaos Chosen anyway, and I had really wanted to play a class that's only available to certain genders, I wouldn't let the fact that I couldn't play as the gender I prefer stop me. Of course it's easy to say that when it's the gender I want to play anyway...

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if we see another class that's gender specific. In this case I could very well see the Dark Elf Witches, which was what was shown in the intro video (IMO) and are canonically female. It's one thing to be surprised by the addition of female Warrior Priests or the like, but I think there have been references to Warrior Priestesses in various books, but the Witch Elves are the "Brides of Khaine" which is pretty obviously female. Let's see the hubbub over that!

No comments: